Lenoir-Rhyne Suffers Setback To Carson-Newman In Men's Tennis, 6-3
March 31, 2012
Bears win at first and sixth singles and third doubles
|Lenoir-Rhyne senior Aroon Khatter won at first singles for the Bears despite a 6-3 loss to Carson-Newman in a South Atlantic Conference men's tennis match Saturday afternoon in Jefferson City, Tenn.|
Jefferson City, Tenn. - The Carson-Newman Men's Tennis Team (8-6, 3-4) handed Lenoir-Rhyne (1-11, 0-8) a 6-3 setback Saturday afternoon in a South Atlantic contest at the Carson-Newman Tennis Complex.
Despite the loss, Lenoir-Rhyne did prevail at first and sixth singles and third doubles on the day.
At No. 1 singles, L-R senior Aroon Khatter (Pune, INDIA) defeated Carson-Newmn's Dusty Davis (Morristown, Tenn.) by a score of 6-2 and 6-4 while freshman Jarod Styres (Chapel Hill, N.C.) downed the Eagles' Dalton Moore (Gate City, Va.), 7-6 and 6-3.
Lenoir-Rhyne's lone win at doubles came when the tandem of senior Michael Owens (Clinton, S.C.) and junior David Richardson (Wake Forest, N.C.) beat Moore and Garret Duron (Woodstock, Ga.), 8-4.
Lenoir-Rhyne will take on Tusculum at home on Sunday in its final South Atlantic Conference match of the year at Hickory High School beginning at 2:00 p.m.
Carson-Newman plays at Lincoln Memorial in a league contest Sunday afternoon in Harrogate, Tenn., at Noon.
NCAA Division II Men's Tennis Final
Carson-Newman 6, Lenoir-Rhyne 3
March 31, 2012
Jefferson City, Tenn.
(Carson-Newman Tennis Complex)
1. Aroon Khatter (L-R) def. Dusty Davis (C-N), 6-2, 6-4
2. Warren McClure (C-N) def. David Richardson (L-R), 6-2, 6-4
3. Derek Holdway (C-N) def. Robby Blackburn (L-R), 6-0, 6-0
4. Austin Mackay (C-N) def. Graydon Dunn (L-R), 7-6, 6-0
5. Garret Duron (C-N) def. Michael Owens (L-R), 6-3, 6-1
6. Jarod Styres (L-R) def. Dalton Moore (C-N), 7-6, 6-3
1. Dusty Davis/Warren McClure (C-N) def. Aroon Khatter/Robby Blackburn (L-R), 8-4
2. Austin Mackay/Derek Holdway (C-N) def. Graydon Dunn/Jarod Styres (L-R), 9-8
3. Michael Owens/David Richardson (L-R) def. Garret Duron/Dalton Moore (C-N), 8-4
Records: Lenoir-Rhyne (1-11, 0-8 SAC), Carson-Newman (8-6, 3-4 SAC)