Belmont Abbey Downs Lenoir-Rhyne, 7-2, In Women's Tennis
April 4, 2012
Junior Ivey Tant and freshman Maggie Brown win in singles play for the Bears
Lenoir-Rhyne freshman Maggie Brown prevailed at fifth singles for the Bears in a 7-2 loss to Belmont Abbey on Wednesday afternoon at Sacred Heart Courts in Belmont, N.C.
Belmont, N.C. - The Belmont Abbey Women's Tennis Team (6-11) defeated Lenoir-Rhyne (2-13) by a 7-2 score on Wednesday afternoon in a non-conference match at Sacred Heart Courts. The match was the final one of the season for the Bears.
L-R did receive victories at second and fifth singles on the afternoon despite the loss.
At No. 2 singles, L-R junior Ivey Tant (Lansing, N.C.) beat Belmont Abbey's Katharine Miller (Houston, Texas) by scores of 6-0 and 7-5.
The Bears also received a win at No. 5 singles from freshman Maggie Brown (Cranford, N.J.), who defeated the Crusaders' Bridget Franer (Fayetteville, Ohio), 6-0 and 6-2.
Belmont Abbey does not play again until next Wednesday when it hosts Anderson beginning at 2:00 p.m.
NCAA Division II Women's Tennis Final
Belmont Abbey 7, Lenoir-Rhyne 2
April 4, 2012 at Belmont, N.C.
(Sacred Heart Courts)
1. Kirstie Jenkins (BAC) def. Kelsey Love (L-R), 6-2, 6-0
2. Ivey Tant (L-R) def. Katharine Miller (BAC), 6-0, 7-5
3. Brooke Ingram (BAC) def. Mariel Mena (L-R), 6-1, 3-6, 7-6
4. Shannon Ramsey (BAC) def. Amanda Young (L-R), 6-1, 6-0
5. Maggie Brown (L-R) def. Bridget Franer (BAC), 6-0, 6-2
6. Abby Poetker (BAC) def. Blair McDonough (L-R), 6-1, 6-3
1. Kirstie Jenkins/Katharine Miller (BAC) def. Ivey Tant/Amanda Young (L-R), 8-0
2. Brooke Ingram/Molly Gwaltney (BAC) def. Mariel Mena/Maggie Brown (L-R), 8-3
3. Bridget Franer/Abby Poetker (BAC) won by default
Records: Lenoir-Rhyne (2-13), Belmont Abbey (6-11)